Reflexology is amazing, so much more than a foot massage! Reflexology can reduce your anxiety; aid your sleep, relieves foot pain or tension or the symptoms of plantar fasciitis, improve your sports performance. I am an ITEC qualified and CTHA insured reflexologist (since 2004).
What is reflexology?
Reflexology is a relaxing, non-invasive, complementary therapy which uses massage, shiatsu and acupressure to optimise you’re your physical health and emotional well-being. The principles of reflexology are that specific points on your feet (or face or hands) directly link to specific areas in your body – every system, organ and gland.
Reflexology is good for your health.
In a nut shell…Stress impacts your body causing pain, fatigue and illness. Reflexology is an effective balancing, relaxing and healing treatment.
An increasing number of people suffer from stress-related conditions such as high blood pressure, headaches/ migraines, stomach pains, fatigue, burnout to name a few. Prolonged stress is debilitating and as the nervous system becomes run down, the immune system becomes weakened a whole host of immune deficient illnesses may present themselves such as M.E. which are now becoming more prevalent.
Reflexology is bliss during pregnancy!
I use prenatal – maternity-reflexology to reduce swollen feet, tackle insomnia, reduce stress and promote deep relaxation, calm. I’ve even used reflexology to bring on labour!
Reflexology is whole body healing.
Rather than short list the benefits, I have addressed (below) the balancing effects of reflexolog
The Respiratory System.
Working the respiratory system reflexes will help the whole body, ensuring that oxygen gets into cells and carbon dioxide is removed. Working the circulatory, nervous and muscular systems will also benefit the respiratory system. According to Chinese medicine the skin & lungs are linked, therefore people with eczema may also suffer from asthma.
The Chinese medicine system also says that the lungs are affected by both anxiety and grief- if you are suffering from either of these emotions I pay particular attention to your lung reflexes.
- Working the diaphragm can have a deeply relaxing effect on the whole body
- It helps unblock sinuses and reduces inflammation therefore helping such conditions such as sinusitis.
- It improves the condition of the lungs by increasing blood circulation to the lung tissue.
The Reproductive System
Working the reproductive system is particularly important if you are trying to conceive; also it helps prevent infections and menstrual/ menopausal problems. Reflexology to the corresponding breast area (on the feet) will help improve lymph drainage and help reduce fluid retention particularly around time of menstruation.
- Increases blood flow to reproductive organs therefore improving their health.
- Reflexology can help regulate your menstrual cycle
The Endocrine System.
Working the endocrine system benefits the whole body, improving the hormone production and their subsequent functions. This system enables humans reproduce.
- When the body is under stress the adrenal gland is stimulated. Reflexology can help reduce the amount of stress hormones released as it helps reduce stress and promote relaxation in the body.
- Reflexology helps to balance the output of hormones so will be helpful for many hormone related conditions.
The Digestive System.
Working the digestive reflexes encourages an efficient digestive system, which prevents fatigue, constipation and stomach problems. According to Chinese medicine the liver & gall bladder are associated with anger, therefore sensitivity in this area could mean that your anger is impacting your body physically as well as emotionally.
- Reflexology on the abdomen area helps stimulate peristalsis and promote movement of waste matter.
- It helps to relieve flatulence and constipation.
- Reflexology can help sooth nerves and relieve intestinal spasm associated with IBS.
The Urinary System
Working the urinary system encourages efficient waste removal and prevents infections and problems with the kidneys & bladder. If you have is a blue shadow under the eyes there may be excessive stress in the kidneys. Reflexology will assist you by improving the efficiency of your kidneys.
- The increased lymphatic flow may cause more urine to pass into the bladder
- It helps improve the kidney & bladder functioning.
The Nervous System
One of the main benefits is inducing relaxation thus slowing down the bodies reactions to stress signals. It also improves the voluntary functions by improving the speed and function of the communication network. There are approximately 7000 nerve endings in the feet making them particularly sensitive and helpful for accessing the whole body.
- It helps soothe pain as endorphins are released
- Working the brain will affect the whole nervous system
- Working the solar plexus may improve the function of main organs
- It helps balance the actions of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.
The Lymphatic System
Working the lymphatic system benefits the whole body and encourages better fluid drainage from tissues & cells thereby boosting the immune system. Chinese medicine states that the spleen is associated with worry, they believe excessive worry & contemplation damages the spleen. Making time for regular reflexology treatments will help you to relax deeply.
- It speeds up the flow of lymph helping to detoxify & improve immunity.
- Can reduce or prevent oedema.